Author Archives: derschiffsbauer

Decorative Trailboard

Painting these Trailboards which go from the Headboard to the Stem.

These came with the kit. Made out of Pewter.

The trailboards are a pair of boards that may be found at the bow of certain sailing vessels, where they run from the figurehead or billethead back to or towards the hawsepipe. They are in the main decorative, though they often bear the name of the ship; they vary in decoration styles.

Starboard Trailboard done
Hanging Trailboards

Hawse Hole

Also known as Hawse Pipes.

Drilled out these Hawse Holes underneath the Cathead.

Hawse Hole Starboard side

This is where the Anchor Chain will pass through to the Capstan.

Hawse Holes Port side
Drilled out the Hole in the Stem with 3 – 2.5mm Drill Bits

Decorative Cheek Pieces

Painting the Decorative Cheek pieces that will go against the Cheeks on the Bow.

Painted them Gold with Sky Blue around the simulated Ribbons
Bent around the Cheek

These are made out of Pewter and resemble some Laurels.

I painted them Gold, with the Martha Steward paint, after Priming them.

Then, I formed them around the curve of the Cheek and I glued them in using some Quick Dry Epoxy because of the Duo Material nature of the surfaces I was gluing.

View from straight on

Balcony – Part 2

The last Post was getting a bit long so I decided to continue the Balcony here.

I’ve really been working on the Port Balcony for about 3 days… Trying to get it right.

Now, the Starboard Balcony is a practice of duplicating a mirror image of the Port Balcony.

I’ve had to remake the outer Bulkhead a few times.

This is what I’ve got so far…

Gluing Bulkhead to Balcony form

I ended up burning it a bit while removing the Bees Wax. But that Bees Wax is the thing to use for this work.

Glued down bulkhead with Superglue

I’m soaking the top Decorative Piece to bend it around the curve because otherwise it will break.

Does my Butt look even???

I’m using Rubber Band to bend the top Decorative Piece around the form of the outside of the Balcony.

The reason I’m using the Rubber Band is because I used clamps last time and it left indentations.

Rubber band to hold it in place until the form takes
Glued Top Decorative Piece. Carved out windows. Painted inside black and outside top and bottom black.
Starboard side done

Balcony – Part 1

Looking at these pieces for the Balcony, I’ve to come to realize that this is going to be a bit more complicated than I expected.

First thing that I did was to manage to break the Balcony outside piece. These guys are incredibly delicate! So much so that I’m pre-hardening them with Superglue even before I begin!

Supergluing easy to break areas.

After a couple of failed attempts, I decided to form a shape out of some Balsa Wood as the form and gluing the wood to it on the outside. I had to use some Putty to disguise the cracks.

Putty on the bulkhead of Balcony

I’m going to be using some Primer and then Paint it.

Bending the top Decoration

I didn’t mention that I had to make a whole different one of these Balconys because I wasn’t satisfied with the above.

This one, I used a piece of Poplar Wood I had in my Backyard.

I didn’t like how the Balsa was too soft above.

Then, I took and used the Cutout as a Pattern and made the outside Bulkhead put of some Mahogany that I had.

I then cut the Windows out with a Xacto Blade.

Top Decorative Piece in

That Top Decorative Strip… I had to soak it for 2 hours with Ammonia and Water. Good thing I did too… Else it would have cracked for sure going around that bend.

Then, after it was dry, I simply dribbled some Superglue around the Edges to hold it.

So, while I was Sanding the Starboard side one, I ended up sanding the end of my finger off!!!


The solution I came up with is to use some Double sides Tape and attach a Dowel or something to hold it while pressing it up against the Sander.

I think Contact Cement is the way to go for the Windows.

Waiting for the Contact Cement 15 minutes… Ugh

I thought I had lost these pieces so I started creating some Decorative Columns with some 1x3mm Walnut with my Micro-Shapers.

Port Side Balcony done
I used Bees Wax in order to hold the part for sanding

I messed up on this part so I need to sand it off and start over again.

While looking for a way to hold the part so I don’t sand off the end of my finger again, I came upon my Bees Wax.

I said… Hmmm… 🤔 . . Bees Wax. By jove, it might just work, what???

Right now I’m trying to create a mirror image for the Starboard side…

I’m going to stop here and make the outer Bulkhead before proceeding…

Micro Shapers

When I got my Belem kit from Artesania Latina, there was a video in the DVD that came with it showing these Micro Shapers. So I decided to order some from Micro Mark to give them a try.

I didn’t really have a need to use them until last night. I shaped the bottom part of my Stern Quarter Gallery of the HMS Surprise, instead of using triangular buttresses as was in the Instructions.

I used the Micro Shaper to make the bottom part under the windows in the Stern Quarter Gallery

Here is the Video from the DVD –

Here is what they look like…

I suppose they work pretty good… Although I’m not sure for how long since the metal is rather thin. We’ll have to wait and see.

It did a good job above on the bottom of the Stern Quarter Gallery so I suppose I’m happy with it.