Tag Archives: Planking

First Layer Planking Finished

I was just going over everything with my 320 Grit Sandpaper and feeling for any irregularities to smooth down.

One thing that I’ve found over the years is that you shouldn’t be overly enthusiastic about sanding. You can easily over sand… Which is what happened on the Port side Forecastle Bollard, in which I sanded to thin paper!!!… Ugh Ugh and more Ugh!!!

Paper thin Bollard

So, what I had to do was to add another piece of Planking over it and Clamp it down in order to repair it…

Gluing Plank to outside of Bollard

I then Puttied and sanded it down to where it looks like this…

Repaired Bollard

Looks pretty good.

Then, I’ve gone through and sanded the entire Hull until smooth… Repairing little bits here and there.

I’ve often found that you need to take your time and really wait and feel around to make sure everything is right…

This was a hard lesson I learned recently with the distancing of the Gun Ports.

Well, the only thing I can do is to keep going. I was even thinking to myself that perhaps this little mistake will make me even bolder and more adventurous.

Perhaps it will?!!!… Who knows? 🤔🤭🤣

Gun Ports Part 1

Next time I’m going to work on installing the gun ports that is on the Gun deck.

This necessitates measuring because I need to make some supports that is going to support the Gunports along the decks.

I’ve been thinking about these Gunports a lot lately while I finish up the Cannons. I ended up finding four more Gun carriages to make on another Laser Cut Strip.

Anyway, I’ve been experimenting around with different types of braces and I think that cutting these 5 mm x 5 mm Basswood stock I had l laying around is going to do the trick. I figure if I run out of that stock I have some to 2mm x 5mm I can use as well.

The big problem I’ve been having is cutting this miter cut of 20°. Each brace is about 20 mm long with a 20 degree angle cut. Well, not all that big of a deal it’s just I ended up experimenting around with different pieces but that’s just normal.

I decided to begin at the Stern and work my way forward because the last Gunport sort of leans against one of the last bulkhead frames. So I’ll just use that as a baseline to measure the rest of the Gunports off of.

There’s another dilemma that I’m facing as well. It’s because the upper bulwark where the gun deck is has a bit of a concave curve to it. So now I’m going to have to install these braces without the gun ports and to sand them down to the same concave nature as the rest of the bulkheads.

I’m I’m riding all this right now while I’m out walking my dog so that’s why there’s no pictures. 🤣😲🤭

My dog Toby
First Gunport brace installed

Transom Planking

The Transom took these .5mm x 3mm Walnut Planks.

It kind of came out uneven so I had to make a Filler sliver. Then while the White Glue was still wet, I rubbed across it with the 120 Grit, just enough to generate a few Walnut Sawdust to act as Putty. Now the descrepancy is barely visible.

Sliver on right side
Transom Planking done
Close up of Rudder Hole

Filler Planks

I’m at the point where I’m making these Fillers to cover the last of the holes around the turn of the Bilge.

Starboard side, using Wedges to hold it in while the glue sets

These Cheaters are a real pain. I didn’t make them in the classical sense but it still does the job.

Gluing in tip of Filler

Got this Filler in…

Filler for Port side

I consider these Fillers similar to Cover-Up Make-up. It is an imperfection that will be all but invisible.

Port side Filler

I must say… Making Fillers are probably one of the most relaxing actions. ,🤣😲🤭

Last Filler on Starboard side. Not quite thick enough but I’ll just use some Putty.
Filler for this small hole on the Starboard turn of the Bow.

I was just thinking to myself that I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out and needing only one or two fillers in the middle. I’ve seen guys that had nothing but filler after filler on their ships because they didn’t do their planking right. I should know because I was one of them!

8th Strake from Keel

This is the last Strake from the Keel that goes all the way forward.

I’m kind of ashamed to say that I had to resort to using the Plank Bender. I suppose it has its uses… Although I just don’t like the idea of breaking the Plank. But… I couldn’t do it any other way.

Used a Plank Bender for this one

Well… This is the situation that I was trying to avoid… Making these odd looking Filler Planks. Oh well. It is only the 1st Layer.

Now I’m stuck making these odd Filler Planks

Nature of the beast I suppose with Planking. A lot of times you just don’t know where you’ll end up.

#8 Starboard side gluing in tip without pressure

It looks like the Starboard side is going to be closed up a bit better than the Port. Although I will still be stuck making these funky odd-shaped Filler Planks. At least the lines look good for the most part.

I ended up going up and over on the Starboard side… I figured the Filler Planks would fit more easily on this side like this.

7th Strake up from Keel

I decided to just go with 2 Strakes going all the way forward instead of 3. In order to get 3 in there, I would have had to make them too thin. So I’m just using 2 and I’m going to just use filler Planks for the rest.

Using the Rubber band method

I feel a bit of a failure because my intention was to have all the Planks reach the Bow and for them to all go to the Stern. I suppose experience is the only cure for this miscalculation… I’ll just know better next time.

But… I must say that all in all, I’m quite happy with what came out, filler and all.

Ending in wedge
Port side view