Tag Archives: forecastle

Bulwarks on Forecastle

The pieces for the Bulwarks provided by Artesania Latina were these big blocks of wood with a laser cut that only traced the line of the Bulwarks and they were much too thick and easily broken.

Pieces that were provided

I decided to make some different Bulwarks by bending some 1.5 x 5mm wood instead.

Bending the wood after soaking
First Bulwark
Front view

I used some Contact Cement and then used some CA Glue.

Piece provided by AL

I think a thinner piece of stock gives it a more authentic look… 🤔🙄

Cut out the Center
Bending the 2nd level of Bulwarks
2nd level of Bulwarks

Capstan – Forecastle Deck

I’m starting the Capstan build now. Here’s some Wood 1mm x 4mm for the base.

Base wood
This is what I have to put together!!!

Mind you… It’s all in German, the instructions!!!

Almost completed…

I had a hell of a time with this Capstan!

The 1st problem was that the Slots didn’t want to go into the holes, so I had to file them down.

Then I ended up breaking the bottom and top.

Finished Capstan. Also notice the bundle of Push Bars behind the Capstan.

Columns for Forward Bulwarks along Forecastle

Here’s a picture of it before I start…

Making Columns at 13mm each

Column Posts
Still working on it…
Gluing Columns to Bulwark
Gunwales installed Port side.

I’m just using SuperGlue liquid for the Gunwales.

I used Titebond II for the Columns to make them extra strong.

Gunwales done both sides

That was tedious.

So now I begin the Pin Rails.


Getting ready to make the Columns which will hold the Pinrails across the forward part of the Forecastle.

The Mamoli Instructions don’t give any measurements for it so I’m going with 10mm with these 2mm x 3mm Stock.

Forecastle before Forward Pinrail
Titebond Translucent Wood Glue

I was having problems with this 2×4 Stock kept splitting on me.

I decided to try this Wood Glue on the outside of the wood to try and prevent this.

Wood coated with Glue
Letting Posts dry

I used SuperGlue for this work.

I have to let it get nice and dry because the rail which the Pinrails go into bends down a bit so I’ll have to Clamp on the middle rail.

Clamping Rail to middle Column. Also I added the 1×2 Fillers in between the 1×1 Slats on bottom to strengthen the Posts as they stand.
Dograil completed

It’s completed except for the Holes for the Belaying Pins.

Holes drilled, Belaying Pins in

Forecastle Caprails

I was looking at the Forecastle bulwark and I realized that I need to add some more Planks to it, so I added the Caprails.

I had the perfect wood for it too. Some Flexible Beechwood that I have for another project. I love this wood because it bends right around against the grain without soaking, etc.

Attached a 2mm thick piece of Flexible Beechwood

(Only problem with this wood is that it’s super expensive)

Last night I glued the Starboard side on with the Flexible Beechwood.

I glued it using alternative SuperGlue and Titebond II.

I worked pretty good. I did it like this because of sanding. That Contact Cement isn’t very sandable.

Anyway… On the Port side, I decided to use Dap Weldwood Contact Cement since there really wasn’t much sanding involved

Also to reinforce it, I added SuperGlue along the length of the seam… Let it soak a but and pressed it down.

It turned out really nice.

Flexible Beechwood Caprail Port side

Main Deck Planking – Forecastle

Here’s the Main Deck before I start…

Main deck

First thing in going to do is to remove the Bollard guides that come up from the Bulkheads.

Here’s a good Article about how to do it at Modelers Central…

One thing you have to do with deck planks to simulate the caulking that’s in between each plank using like a number 6 b pencil and what you do is you get a few and then you scribe a bunch of them at once. I’d say maybe you like 5 80 mm long planks and just put them on a clip and just use a pencil across them all. I made the mistake of doing it one at a time and it’s better to get a bunch at once.

1st Row done
I’m debating to leave this little gap in the Waterway… Hmmm… 🤔