My first experiment produced a couple of Wales that were bend nicely however there were a few cracks in them…
I mean… They’re perfectly usuable, but I think that I’ll use them on the Lower Wales so that the cracks aren’t as visible.
That process was simply soaking for 1 hour in 1/2 cup Ammonia + 1 Cup Water in my Plank Soaker. Then bending it around my Jig.
This next experiment, I soaked the Wales for 2 hours or more. Then I carefully inserted the 2 Planks into the Jig and clamped them together with my little Clamp I made to keep them from turning like they did last time.
Then, I used some Clips to weigh them down and stress them gently into a bend… Instead of rapidly like I did last time.
I then used my Iron, set to Max with Steam… I gently went back and forth across it to make it bend.
Well… It bent pretty nicely I must say…
Yeah… It seems like taking your time is the key with bending these Walnut stock.
I did manage to crack 2 of them… But I think that was just a matter of me sticking it in to get bend in the wrong direction. The wood didn’t like it.
You have to determine what the wood wants to do. Or else it will end up cracking on you.