These are the Deadeyes for the Foremast Top. I figured I better put all these in… As well as the Shrouds.
So I was thinking about making a video on using this Dap contact cement for this particular job. I mean it works perfectly for it and it does a great job. What you do is you put it right around the edge of the Top on both the edging and the surface of the Top. Then you have to wait around 15 minutes or so before sticking it and it does a great job of holding and then what I like to do is to dribble some super glue around it to harden it. And it works great that way.
Dap Weldwood + Superglue works great
As you can see, I dribbled a bit of this Superglue around the edges, then quickly dabbed the excess up with Q-Tip.
I decided to use the Dowels which I originally made for the Main Mast for the Top Foremast. Everything seemed to fit perfectly except for a slight trim, so why not?
The top on a traditional square rigged ship, is the platform at the upper end of each (lower) mast. The main purpose of the top is to anchor the shrouds of the topmast that extends above it. Shrouds down to the side of the hull would be at too acute an angle from the mast, so struts running out from the mast are added to take the place of the hull for a smaller copy (the topmast) of the lower mast and its rigging. Placing a few timbers between these struts produces a useful platform, the top. The futtock shrouds carry the load of the upper shrouds into the mast below.
Just adding these .5x4mm Lathes to the Top.
Figures… I ran out of the 1x1mm Strips in the kit so I had to make some more put of some 1x3mm Strips I had left over. I swear, Mamoli sure does chince you out of wood!!!
I used Dap Weldwood Contact Cement for gluing the Strips. Then I hardened it with some Superglue.
I needed something to stand off the Upper Mast to make it even and found some 2x5mm wood which was perfect.
For the foot grips on the deck of the Top, I used just Titebond Yellow cement. For the edging, as I mentioned, I use Dap Weldwood Contact Cement. I love using Contact cement for work like this because it leaves you with a lot of jiggle time. Then when I’m satisfied with how it fits, I use a bit of Superglue to harden it. Just dribbling along the seams.
I was just thinking to myself that all this edging and the foot grips and everything is probably there so that if a Sailor does drop something by chance it won’t fall all the way to the deck.