Putting in the 2 Bowsprit Shrouds. These are the ones that go sort of on the Trailboard, underneath the Cathead.
It’s to prevent lateral movement of the Bowsprit.
Port side Bowsprit Shroud in
I just used a couple of 3.5mm Bullseyes and I looped the .7mm Hemp line around it and Seized it with the usual Clove Hitch, French Loops with some Sewing String.
I ordered some Hearts but they haven’t arrived yet.
Port side Bowsprit Shroud
Starboard side Bowsprit Shroud
Here’s how it attaches to Hull
View from above… They came out even!
Just finished the first one of these Bobstays
Anyway, I put the Deadeye on the end of the Black .7mm Griffin line that I just bought.
Then I looked it through the 1mm Hole in the Stem and Seized the line on itself… Like so…
Line seized on itself
Then I made the connection with the small line.
Both Bobstays are now on…
I am preparing to Gammon the Bowsprit to the Stem…
Getting everything ready
Filing out the Hole
I Seized the end of some .7mm Hemp line into a Loop.
On the Seizing… I just made a Clove Hitch for the initial loop to secure the loop. Then I worked my way up using French Loops. Then a double loop to secure.
I used French Loops all the way down… Seemed to work ok…. It’s tight too!!!
Gammoning means to make this Loop around the Bowsprit to the Hole in the Cutwater and you make around 8 turns around.
Then you put about 1/2 dozen frapping turns around it to tighten.
First you start with a Running Eye… Which is basically a Siezed loop around the end of the Line.
French Whipping for this purpose.
Stretching Line out
I bought this Hemp Line and I noticed that it was a kinked and bendy looking. So what I did was to soak it and I’m now in the prot of stretching it.
Just a few photos of the progress so far…
I carved down the top main mast to that conical point using my Lathe.
Then, I stained everything using Coffee for 1 hour… In my
I made a new Post because when I was test attaching the Bowsprit, I realized that this is the point when I truly go into the 2nd to the Last Phase. The Mast and Bowsprit stepping phase.
But, it IS exciting to see the Bowsprit on for the first time in more or less fully configured.
Stepping the Bowsprit
Bowsprit Cap with the associated Blocks
Beginning work on the Lower Bowsprit.
It gave me a chance to use my new Lathe.
It’s a Proxxon DB 250 Mini Lathe. I’ll tell you what… It only took me a minute to figure out and it works great for this work.
Lower Bowsprit after tapering from 8mm to 5.5mm
Also, this is a job for my Calipers.
That’s where the Running lines pass through. And the bottom is where it will lash down onto the the hold in the Stem
Squared off end
Whipping Around Bowsprit
I simply used the
Common Whipping Knot for all the Whipping going up the Bowsprit.
Whipping up Bowsprit
Then I dribble some Superglue on it. The Superglue makes the line nice and hard for easy trimming with my Sprue Cutter.
This little Line Guide, I had to scratch make it because I mistakenly used it for the Ships Wheel. It came on the same part thread that the Ship’s Wheel. Anyway, I ended up breaking it… So I had to make another one.
Line Stop for lashing onto Stem
This Line Stop is made out of some spare 1x2mm Beech Wood I had. This stops the line from sliding once it’s lashed down to the Stem.