On these Fore Topmast Shrouds, I put the smaller Deadeyes in with the anchor through the side of the Top. I had to put some Superglue on them to hold them tight.
I use a Clove Hitch with several loops. Then I fix the knot with Superglue. I found that Superglue works pretty good for this work… Although be careful not to bend it else it will break.
What I do is to tie a Clove hitch around a loop, then I pull it tight and cinch the knot.
After a bit of a break, I’m back to working on the Mizzen Mast Ratlines. I was holding off on it until I finished the rigging for the Spanker.
Here I have the first 2 sets done…
I had a couple of do overs… When I mistakenly looped the last Shroud under the Gaff Boom Stay. And also I used a Square Knot around the Mast so I couldn’t get it adequately tight enough so I had to take it all apart and I used a simple loop which worked nicely to be tightened on both sides.
I wish I had somebody to talk “Ship-Talk” with. Preferably an Old Timer who has been doing this awhile and who I can watch work.
Anyway… Lacking that… I do this blogging. I know… It’s not the same thing. But I also follow some really talented Model Makers in the Groups I belong to.
So, I’m looking at these Shrouds and I am beginning to suffer the “Modeler’s Regret”… You know… When you think that you should have done something a certain way???… I guess that’s the nature of it. I’m not going to redo it all. Definitely not. But I’ve seen guys who do it.
A prime example are the Seizing on Shrouds that wrap around the Deadeyes.
I started off like this…
I especially love the one all the way to the left. I wish they were all like that and uniform. Hmmm… 🤔🙄🧐
Continuing on with the Foremast Shrouds… I’m getting into a rhythm with these things.
Here’s the 2nd and 3rd Pairs done.
What I normally do for these is to first put the Distance Measuring Tool that I made.
I put the Deadeye on it, then I measure off where the Shroud bend around it. I then take it off and squeeze it so that a bend takes place in the Hemp line. That’s why I like Hemp for this work, because it holds a bend. The synthetic line won’t do that.
I then put the Deadeye in and I use a Clove Hitch and squeeze it as tight as I can up against the Deadeye.
Then, I loop it a few times towards the Deadeye and end it with a double half-hitch to close it off and lock it in place.
Then I use French Loops going down and finish it with a Double half-hitch. It ends up looking like this…
After that, I put a drop of PVA White Glue on it to fix it.
I’m using 1mm Black Hemp line for the Shrouds. I found that they need Pre-Stretching and unwinding so that they become straight.
Once the line is unwound and straight,bit makes a beautiful straight line.
Here’s the first one. The knot I used to secure the top is a Clove hitch with an extra locking loop.
So far, I have the Burton Pendants and the 1st pair Shrouds on the Starboard side.
I decided that the 1mm Line was too thick so I changed to .7mm Line. Which necessitated unwinding and stretching of the .7mm line.
I used a Clove Hitch with extra loops to tie it off.
So… On the Deadeyes. I probably should make an entire Post on this subject. In the meantime, this his how the Seizing looks.
Putting in the 2 Bowsprit Shrouds. These are the ones that go sort of on the Trailboard, underneath the Cathead.
It’s to prevent lateral movement of the Bowsprit.
I just used a couple of 3.5mm Bullseyes and I looped the .7mm Hemp line around it and Seized it with the usual Clove Hitch, French Loops with some Sewing String.
I ordered some Hearts but they haven’t arrived yet.