One thing I found out about this Dap Weldwood Contact Cement is that it leaves these rubbery growths in between the Planks that sometimes come up on you and they’re really a pain in the ass to remove because they’re so tenacious.
I suppose that’s a testament to how strong this Contact Cement is. I do like using Contact Cement way more than using Titebond II and SuperGlue for this work.
The Starboard side became a bit of a free for all. I knew it was misaligned from before but I ended up going from the King Fish Look… Now it’s ending up being like a… I don’t know what.
I tapered the planks down to approximately 2.5mm.
This is where I am now…
And look at what I have going on in the Stern!…
This is what happens sometimes… These things happen. And it’s up to the skill of the model maker to find a solution so that it doesn’t look like it was ever a problem… Hmmm what to do???…
Yeah… I’m going to have a few crazy planks, I can tell that right now!!!
Ok, I got some wonky ones… Totally improper but I’m just going to stick them in.
So here is the Starboard side so far with the Filler planks in… I mean… It doesn’t look too bad.
As I work to making all these oddball Filler Plank sizes… I must say that this is probably one of my favorite parts about this hobby… Making these pieces. It’s especially rewarding when I use the Dremel to carve out a piece and when I go to try it out in the vacant spot and it fits perfectly. I’m getting better and better at that. Getting it right on the first try.
I started with the 3 Lower Strakes which had no tapering.
Then the next 4 Strakes I tapered down to about 3mm, however, towards the end, I ended up taking 2.5mm off.
I still would up having a huge gap in the middle which I now have to close up using Filler Strakes.
To be honest, I like to try and avoid using these unsightly Fillers by calculating the exact amount of Planks to go to the Bow and Stern.
I ended up with the Long Fish Look again… So using Fillers was a foregone conclusion.
It looks like I’ll be Painting the bottom anyway so I’m not too worried about it.
Another thing to mention too…
The instructions on the Dap Weldwood Contact Cement says to attach the pieces between 15 minutes to 2 hours.
I find that leaving it for too long… Even an hour, makes the glue lose its bonding quality.
So now I’m using Titebond II to finish up the Planking
I’m pretty happy with the Port side. It closed up pretty good. I’m only going to need a few spots where I have to use Putty. Mainly along the Prow and there’s a couple of spots on the Fillers that need Putty.
It’s better than having Putty all over the place! LOLOLOL!!!… 🤣🤭😲