These are the Cross trees for the Main Mast. I built them up from a piece of Mahogany Wood.
I put this Kit down when I started working on the HMS Surprise. I decided to begin working on it in between this one and my next build…
So here it is January 1st 2020… Beginning the new year so I figured it was time for me to complete the HMS Surprise.
What happened was that on the Flying Fish project, I ran into a little bit of a snag.
The kid by corral only provided less than about three-quarters of a meter of the flexible Beech wood. I only had just enough to complete the interior planking along the gunwale, and it didn’t leave me enough to finish up the caprails.
Sewing in anticipation of this time, I had ordered some more Beachwood from Modelers Central but they are based out of Australia! This is around two weeks ago. Well, come to find out that there’s a difference between plain Beech wood and flexible Beech wood!
So now I have all this wood that I’ll probably end up finding a use for… but they’re not useful to me right now!
So I went ahead and bit the bullet and reordered some flexible Beech wood from the same company but it will be another two weeks!
Turns out this flexible Beech wood is really expensive! So I probably got enough of this stuff to last me for the next few models anyway!
But I have nothing to do in the meantime since I have to wait to install the cap rail before I could continue with doing anything else so I decided to start back on the HMS Surprise.
At this point, I am installing the supports for the main deck…
I realize that I’ve skipped over a lot of the Construction. It is turning out great so I figure I’ll go ahead and Post where I am right now.
I completed the Planking and I painted the Hull and added the Wales.
The wood for the Wales I left bare by using some thin Masking Tape.
It worked really well I must say.
The Flying Fish is a kit made by Corel.
I doubt that I buy any more kids from this outfit though. The reason for that is that the instructions were pretty sparse in that they expected somebody to be already an experience model builder and they really didn’t explain much or give very many visual aids. At least with Artesania Latina oh, you got a lot of pictures to go buy. This one all you had was a bunch of drawings and they could all be subject to interpretation as well.
Another complaint that I have is about the parts. The only parts that was laser-cut was the Frames and Keel. The rest of the parts which include all the pieces for the houses on the decks they expect you to make it using these supposed drawings which are pretty sparse to begin with!
I don’t really care about that because I don’t mind doing it but you would expect that a cat would pizza is that we’re precut. At least that’s how they do it on Artesania Latina kits.
I suppose that what you’re paying for are the instructions and all the little metal pieces and wooden blocks and strings that they put together for you.
But as far as kits versus scratch-built goes, this kit is about as close as being scratch built for me as you could possibly get. At least it kind of gives me more practice for when I decide to scratch build a ship.
I inadvertently mixed some Superglue into a section that already had Titebond II on it.
I was a bit apprehensive about whether the Superglue would stick or not. Surprisingly, it did hold. I poured Superglue literally into the the section that already had Titebond II on it… Basically mixing the 2 together.
When I started put with this Transom piece, I found that it didn’t cover the Stern like I wanted it to. So I made this little filler piece as I started in a previous post.
Anyway, this is the finished piece before I put the top layer on it.
I realize that I got carried away with the Tamiya Wood Putty. I swear, this Putty is some strong stuff!
I’m going to begin Sanding down the Hull… This is the before picture.
I messed up a bit. I put the Deck Planks in before I took the guides out. I should have waited so that the Planks will cover the Stubs where the guides were. Well… I’m not going to worry about it. There will be so much going on that this descrepancy would be hardly noticiable.
Anyway, I used one of those Scalpel looking Xacto Blades to remove the guide stubs until I noticed that I was scraping the Deck with the side of the Blade. So, I switched to those Wood Chisel looking Blades.
After I got about half way through using various Xacto Razors… I realized that it is a lot easier simply to use my Sprue Cutter.